Castle of King Wormy

This is the castle I created. Below is a description of my process, the challenges I've faced and how I overcame them :)

I started off with a great start! Made some basic shapes (squares and circles) - extruded, capped and layered them to create the base of my castle.  I also started to use the loft tool to create a tapered effect with the central building.

At this point I finished up with the loft tool and I finished making the extra tower, using the alt function to duplicate the tower.







I started expanding on the base and used the BooleanDifference function to remove the center on the circle I extruded previously. I kept my polylines in the back in case I needed to use them as a reference in the possible future.







Here I started playing with the design of what It would potentially look like. I knew at this point I'd want to make it vastly more elaborate.


This is where I started running into problems: I wanted to make an archway that I could manipulate into either a door or a window so I used the flexible polyline tool and tried to connect it with a straight polyline tool but I found that I could not create a closed curve with the two - I could extrude them both but could not cap it. 


So my problem solving skills and 20 minutes of my life lead to this solution: making the square box with the straight polyline tool and then making the arch at the top as two separate objects them BooleanUnioning the two together to create a frame. 


From that moment I could BooleanDifference the windows/doorways/passages anywhere! Which was exciting!! 


I alt-ed a whole bunch of little towers and created a couple of more shapes (25-sided polygon - extruded and capped!) From there I started playing around with positioning! I also created a negative shape so that I could BooleanDifference the tops of the multi sided polygons to give it more of a castle-y look. Then I added a bunch of passages through out the buildings and added an expansion to the main tower.


I also imported a little project I did during the first day of class :) his name is King Wormy and he is the ruler of this fair Rhino Land!


After positioning everything with where I wanted it to be, I added a topographical landscape, a giant wall and a couple of little houses for the finishing touches :) I then went through the process of BooleanUnioning everything and making sure there wasn't overlapping geometry with the Boolean2Objects function! And there we go!


Comments