Object Tattoo Process!

1.)  Sketch a plan for this assignment
    a.) what will your object be? (remember to avoid compound curves as surfaces for vinyls)
    b.) how will your vinyl traverse the surface of the object?
    c.) how might you adjust/tweak your design to speak to the objects form, function or concept?
2.)  Scan or photograph this sketch and post it to your process blog.
**parts of this plan could also be mocked up in rhino if you wish**
3.)  Try to incorporate some of the 2D processes from class into your revised design (i.e. arrays, polylines, curves, ellipses and polygons! - also, compound shapes created by intersecting and trimming!)
4.)  Include a response to feedback from peers and the instructor


1. a) The object that I will put the vinyl sticker on will be a wall in the graffiti stairwell. I went scoping out some potential places and was really interested in these walls below:
 This is the 4th floor wall with the door. I find the mish-mash of different people's styles/thoughts/expressions very intriguing and would think that my design would react well. I also really like the interplay of the light on the wall.


This one might be a little easier to see the difference between the vinyl because of the crazy colour palette on the wall. I do really like the underground tagging culture and having that in contrast to the refined vinyl sticker created through a 3D modelling software would have a very interesting effect, both visually and conceptually..

b) It was also suggested from Bryan that the placement of the vinyl wasn't constricted to just one wall, I could traverse it on to two and see how that operates. My first thought when I went in to the stairwell with that in mind was the ceiling at the very top of the site.
  Which I thought would be interesting if it could be half on the ceiling and half on the wall. Giving it sort of a "Big Brother" kind of vibe.
 Or maybe even right on the ceiling (but I don't know how feasible that would be considering it'd be really hard to reach that high)

c) I would create more of an opening in the part of the eye where it's white so that I can let other people's previous work breathe through and have them function in a more collaborative representation.

2)
 Here's the new and improved rendition of the sketches I built upon. I wanted to make it a little more representational of me so I combined two sketches from before and created what I'm gonna do. (No. 3)

3) To start of with the general shapes I'm gonna use the Polyline tool and the boolean difference tool to create a whole bunch of the main shapes (otter iris, couple of different eyelashes, etc). I'd use the ArrayCrv tool to do the eyelashes along the lashline and the mirror tool to duplicate the otter in the iris. Probably use the split tool to make the creases of the under-eye skin.

4) When I talked with my group they were very supportive about the idea of layering it on other textured/marked up pre-established works, so when I came up with idea of putting it in the graf stairwell, but when I said that I'd want it to be huge, we all kinda thought that the biggest I could go was the size of the machine in the I/O lab.

But when I talked to Bryan about this, he suggested the idea of tiling the vinyl to create a work that could be a lot bigger than the vinyl plotter - which is exactly what I plan on doing. And as I mentioned before Bryan also suggested that this could be something that transversed across more than one planar surface.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Castle of King Wormy